MEDICAL STUDENT ELECTIVE ROTATIONS
Senior Electives Catalogue
Residency Program and Clerkship Manager
Medical Student Clerkship Coordinator
The Department of Surgery offers the following electives for 4th Year Medical Students:
- Breast Surgical Oncology
- Burn Surgery
- General Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care
Medical Student Application Process (for Maricopa Integrated Health Services):
1. Department receives application from Student/Medical School and reviews application for completeness.
2. Department checks for availability and to see if the student meets departmental/institutional requirements:
- If student does not meet criteria, the Clerkship Coordiantor notifies school/student request is rejected
- If date requested is not available department may offer alternative rotation date
- If request is approved, application is signed by Clerkship Director
3. Department Clerskhip Coordinator forwards apporved application (and supporting documentation) to GME Clerkship Coordinator/Academic Affairs (AA). Paperwork must be submitted 60 days in advance
- Complete packets are preferred, but when necessary to meet timelines, AA will accept partial packets.
4. AA review packet for completeness:
- If incomplete, notify Department Clerkship Coordinator of what documents are missing
- If complete, advance to next level
5. Submit for Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) approval. GMEC meets the 3rd Thursday of each month
- Due to the amount of time between GMEC meetings, it is important to include all rotation request as soon as the department has confirmed availability
- Approval from the GMEC is not the sole requirement for rotation approval. GMEC approval works in conjunction with departmental approval and completion of all Clerkship policy requirements
6. Notify Department Clerkship Coordinator of GMEC decision
7. Department Clerkship Coordinators notifies school/student of GMEC decision
8. At least one month in advance the GME Clerskhip Coordinator will send an email to the Department Clerkship Coordinators with the names and rotation information for everyone scheduled during that month.
- Department Clerkship Coordinator must review the list and reply via email within 24 hours of receipt.
- Anyone, including those doing back to back rotations must be on the list