for Academic Year 2015-2016
The General Surgery Training Program participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Candidates are judged on the basis of academic background, letters of recommendation and interviews. The Department strictly follows EEOC guidelines. The Chairman, Program Director and Associate Program Director review all applications.
- We accept a total of fifteen interns (4 categorical, 9 preliminary interns and 2 podiatry interns) and 2 PGY-II preliminaries. Designated preliminary candidates must submit proof of match to PGY-II Program.
- All positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
- Our NRMP numbers are 1898440C0 (Categorical) and 1898440P2 (Preliminary)
- No pre-match positions available
Applications are accepted from September 15th to November 30th. General Surgery is participating electronically via the ERAS program. Please note: Maricopa Medical Center does not sponsor visas of any kind (i.e., J1, J2, H1, H2, H3, or F1).
Required material for a complete application:
- Submit application through ERAS
- Curriculum Vitae
- Your Dean’s Letter.
- Three letters of recommendation: one from the Chairman of Surgery and two from surgeons who can evaluate your performance during a general surgery clerkship (one letter must be from a USA physician).
- Copy of a transcript from your medical school.
- USMLE scores steps 1 and 2 (In general, the minimum score requirements are 220). MUST pass on first attempt.
- Maximum of 4 years out of medical school.
- Foreign Medical School/Graduates must submit a current ECFMG and CSA certificate. You will find the most current ECFMG requirements at the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates website ( http://www.ecfmg.org/ ).
- MIHS does accept IMGs, however we do NOT sponsor visas of any kind.
Selected applicants are invited to interview on one of several formal interview days. This year's interview dates are: November 11, December 9, December 16, January 6 and January 13. The agenda includes a briefing by the Chairman and Program Director, a tour of the hospital, interviews with the Program Director, Attending Physicians and Residents. We also sponsor an informal gathering with the residents the night before and a formal lunch with the Attending Physicians, Residents and staff the day of the interview.
Current Available Positions:
No openings at this time.